Friday, October 3, 2008

June 29, 2002 - Roskilde Festival - Roskilde, Denmark

I went to the Roskilde Festival and I paid a lot of money to get there and be there but when you finally are in front of the stage waiting for Manowar to turn on full-power, to get out there and blast you really don't care about such things. There can't be any more great feeling when they get out there, I nearly started to cry during the first songs since it was so great to see the band on stage again.









I woke up late on Saturday morning and by this time there was not anything called hangover since last night, because in a couple of hours I knew that Manowar was going to blow away that stage and that made me feel happy. The day started out as usual during the festival, a breakfast consisting of beer and more beer ; ).

A few hours before the show would start I left the camping to find Marjo and Theo from the Manowar-crew who were doing the merchandise this day. We had a lot of fun and I also got the opportunity to meet Hinrich Stuerken. I also met our new guy in the Worldwide Web Warriors, Olaf from Norway. We had a great time togheter and both me and Olaf agreed to be in the front-row when Manowar was going to play.

hen they started to take people in to the front-rows I managed to push myself right into the front of the stage togheter with a lot of other crazy fans. The atmosphere was great and everyone was cheering "Manowar, Manowar, Manowar" and "Hail, hail, hail and kill". I even heard someone sing Nessun Dorma. ; ). A few minutes before the show would start, the manager Tom Miller came out on stage to warm up the audience and he sure did. The air was filled with excitement and magic. You could see the crew on stage get prepared for the show and suddenly you hear the Manowar-intro. Then Scott takes his place, Joey and Karl comes in and "BAM!", they start out with "Manowar" as usual. A show like this couldn't start better with a song like this. "Manowar" is directly followed by "Blood of my Enemies" and then comes "Kill with Power". Then it's time for a new song, the single "Warriors of the World United". Scott starts to bang his drums, Joey starts with the bass and the crowd gets totally crazy! This song works very good live and was one of the songs I remember most from this evening. After the song everyone left the stage except for Karl who are doing "My spirit lives on" perfectly. Then comes a surprise, a song that I didn't expect but how I loved it! When Joey first started out with his bass-guitar I thought it would be "Gates of Valhalla" but I realized that it was "Heart of Steel"!. Eric started to sing and then the crowd were singing the rest of the lyrics, it was so awesome! After this song Eric told us about Hell on Earth pt 1, 2 3, and that they were filming this show for HOE pt 4 (!). "Heart of Steel" was followed by a bass-solo by Joey and he really got my ears to ring that evening. When Joey was done, Scott started playing on "Fighting the World". This song was directly followed by "Kings of Metal" and "Sign of the Hammer". Then everyone else except Joey left the stage and he told us a lot of both fun and serious things. He made the whole crowd go crazy and everyone was cheering "Manowar, Manowar, Manowar" again. Then it was time for the fast songs starting out with "The Power", directly followed by the new song "House of Death" which also was great to hear live. They continued with "Hail & Kill" and by this time it was like hell standing down there in the crowd, which went so fucking crazy! The show ended with "Black wind, fire and steel" and the outro "The Crown and the Ring".

Setlist:

1. Manowar
2. Blood of my Enemies
3. Kill with Power
4. Warriors of The World United
5. Heart of Steel
6. Sting of the Bumblebee
7. Fighting The World
8. Kings of Metal
9. Sign of the Hammer
10. The Power
11. House of Death
12. Hail and Kill
13. Speech (Joey DeMaio)
14. Black Wind, Fire And Steel

No comments: